This article was written by Audrey McClelland, founder of blog Mom Generations, a hip online destination for moms featuring daily fashion news, giveaways and smart family advice. She is also recognized as an LG VIP Blogger.
hen I was younger, I remember my mother telling me that her “official” New Year began with every new school season. Now being a mom of 5, I understand that logic completely. With school starting for my kids, it’s amazing how much I’m trying to simplify and organize myself, my family and our lives for the “New Year” ahead. New agendas are purchased! New family calendars! New schedules and routines! Oh, yes – the New Year most definitely starts with each new school season.
I’m all about trying to find ways to keep everything running smoothly and efficiently in the mornings and evenings. Nobody wants to live in chaos, so it’s important for me (and my family) to make sure we’re doing things to keep us as non-chaotic as possible. I love making sure that we’re all in it together and that everyone has a role and is helping out.
I’m excited to share with you 5 different things that you can do to help simplify your life this back-to-school season!
1. Clean counters, clean sinks! I learned this trick from my Nana years ago. She once told me that you will not be stressed to come into your kitchen in the morning if your counters and your sink are clean. It’s true. This little extra step at night does make such an impact in the morning. You come down and everything is neat, organized and clean.
2. Pack lunches the night before for the kids. Lunches are the toughest task in the morning to do sometimes, especially if you’re running late. Since we’re going to be making 5 lunches this year, it’s even more important for us to make it simple in the morning. Before bed at night, I’m going to do as much pre-packing as possible. In the morning, I can just bag and add my little special note in! ☺
3. Empty laundry baskets. With 7 people in our family, laundry is always in session. I’m obsessed with our LG Sidekick because I’m able to take care of small, delicate loads at the same time as my larger loads (towels, clothing, etc). Laundry will never stop, but it’s imperative to make sure you have a washer and dryer that will stand up to the test of time. Also, it’s important to make sure your kids give a helping hand, too. I do the washing/drying (well, my LG does). They put the laundry away. Chores charts are a DEFINITE in the school season.
4. When we finally started doing chore charts, it was incredible. I didn’t realize just how much it does simplify life at home. We painted our basement door with chalkboard paint and each week we write down the chore responsibilities. At the end of the week we’ll give the kids a little treat if they kept up. But, it really does help keep everything moving and getting done.
5. Outfits the night before. I did this when I was a kid, so it only makes sense to do this with my own. Every night before bed I have my kids layout their clothing for the next day. It saves us time in the morning and there is no fighting about which brother is wearing their “favorite tee!”
Hope these tips help you and your family! Happy Back to School for everyone! Enjoy your year.
Do you have any favorite ways to simplify your life when school is in session? Share yours in the comments below!