Ah, May…the sun is out, the flowers are in bloom, and it’s a great time to get together and get cookin’. Whether you’re feasting mom or dad on their respective holidays, or having a gathering on Memorial Day weekend (or any lovely weekend, for that matter)—we’ve got some delicious recipes to put a sunny smile on everyone’s face!
LG Chef Peter Thornhill’s Steak Au Poivre just happens to be his mom’s favorite. And his Apple Jicama Salad is a refreshing addition to any spring or summer table. Together, they make a complete and splendid meal—and the bonus is, they each take only about a half-an-hour to make!
Steak Au Poivre with Bearnaise Sauce
Total prep time: 35 minutes | Servings: 4
1 teaspoon of dried tarragon
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of water
4 oz. (1 stick) of cold butter, cut into 10-12 pieces
1 tablespoon of fresh tarragon
Salt to taste
4 – 8 oz. Filet Mignon steaks
4 tablespoons of coarsely crushed Black Peppercorns
2 tablespoons of light olive oil or vegetable oil
- Add dried tarragon and vinegar to small saucepan over low heat. Reduce vinegar by half, remove from pan and set aside.
- Blend egg yolks and water together and then add to a cold small skillet. Place over low heat stirring continuously until mixture lightens in color and begins to thicken.
- Add butter, one piece at a time and stir continuously until completely melted, repeat this process for the rest of the butter (after the first two to three pieces have melted, you may add the rest two pieces at a time).
- Stir in fresh tarragon. Hold over a low flame, loosely covered, until ready to serve (not recommended to hold more than 20-30 minutes).
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season steaks with salt and press into crushed pepper to coat both sides.
- Add oil to pan to heat and then add steaks. Cook 4 to 8 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Flip steaks, continue cooking another 3-6 minutes. Rest 3-5 minutes before serving. Top with béarnaise sauce (the sauce you created in steps 1 though 4).
Apple Jicama Salad
Total prep time: 25 minutes | Servings: 4-6
1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
3 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
3 oz. of extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
2 honey crisp or pink lady apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 jicama, cut into thin matchsticks
1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup of cilantro
- Toast coriander seeds in small pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, then grind in coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Combine coriander, honey, lime juice, cayenne pepper, olive oil and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Dice apples and jicama and add to the dressing. Toss to coat and prevent browning.
- Add pomegranate seeds to the salad.
- Add cilantro just before serving.