As you book up your summer calendar with various activities, getaways, and day trips, surely food and drink destinations will be penciled in among them. From visiting an interesting vineyard or brewery to taking advantage of all the summer fish and farmers’ markets, this is the time of year to indulge in fresh produce. But before you buy up the entire market, remember to think ahead: where are you going to put everything? And, of course, fresh fish and meat doesn’t stay fresh for long unless you store it just right…
The perfect fridge
Introducing an ideal fridge for summer (and beyond): LG’s Door-in-Door™ Refrigerator w/ CustomChill™ Drawer. Available for purchase in July, this may be the very fridge you’ve been dreaming of—perfect for all those food-based trips and shopping sprees. This Super Capacity refrigerator doesn’t just come with more useable space. It also comes with compartments and drawers that help you organize and properly store all of your fresh meat and produce.
The fridge’s CustomChill™ Drawer provides that extra, customizable storage space that can prove so useful for summer foodies. It offers four temperature settings for storage of cold drinks, as well as meat and seafood, and comes with adjustable dividers to keep everything in its place. Want to make sure the white wine from your visit to the vineyard is nice and crisp when you serve it? Just pop it into the CustomChill™ Drawer and choose the “Chilled Wine” setting. After your trip to the fish market, this drawer is great for keeping that fresh catch fresher for longer—you can set it to be colder than the rest of the fridge but not necessarily as cold as the freezer (just choose the “Meat & Seafood” setting). If you want to use that fish for, say, a ceviche dish this drawer is the way to go.
Meanwhile, LG’s Door-in-Door™ compartment offers an easy way to store and access the items that you use most. For example, if you’re throwing a Fourth of July party, you may want to fill up that compartment with easy-to-reach beer and wine. Other times, you can use it to hold the beverages, snacks, and condiments your family is often reaching for. Because this unique storage unit can be accessed without opening the entire refrigerator, it helps reduce cold air loss by up to 47%* to keep food fresh, longer—not a small feat during the sweltering summer!*Percent reduction in exchange rate of air between opening the Door-in-Door® compared to one French door for 10 seconds. Results based on testing of comparable model with same LG® Door-in-Door® design.
Summer food safety tips
Even though the season offers some great fresh produce, the heat and humidity can increase the risk of foodborne illnesses. But, not to fear—with a great refrigerator and some easy safety rules, you can enjoy all that food without worry.
- When transporting perishables that should stay cold, use a cooler filled with ice or frozen gel packs.
- Keep raw meat, seafood, and poultry wrapped securely, so that their juices don’t contaminate other foods.
- Rinse all fresh fruit and vegetables under running water.
- Always leave food to marinate in the refrigerator—rather than outside or on the kitchen counter.
- Cook food thoroughly and consider using a food thermometer to ensure the proper temperature. Steaks and fish should reach 145° F, pork 160° F, and poultry and hamburgers 165° F.
- Don’t reuse cutlery that has touched raw meat, poultry, or seafood.
- Don’t keep food outside in temperatures between 40° F and 90° F for more than two hours. If temperatures are above 90° F, food shouldn’t be left out for more than one hour.
- Perishable food can be placed on ice to keep it cool longer.
What are some of your favorite summer foods and beverages? Share below!