hef Brian brings out some of the best of fall in this creamy curried butternut squash soup with crispy leeks. Dig in!
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Leek (white and light green parts only) washed and diced. Save the green parts for the crispy leeks.
- 2 Carrots washed, peeled, and diced.
- 1 Apple (Honey Crisp or Granny Smith) washed, cored, and diced
- 1 Butternut Squash (medium sized) peeled and diced. (About 4 cups.)
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
For The Soup
- Heat the canola oil over medium heat in the large pot
- Add the leeks, carrots, apple and squash and begin to cook to soften them
- Add the salt and continue cooking until everything is soft, about 5 minutes
- Add the curry powder and stir to coat with the softened vegetables
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup, adjust seasoning with salt if necessary
For The Crispy Leeks
- While the soup is simmering, thoroughly wash the green parts of the leek and pat dry with paper towels
- Cut the green parts into thin strips
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add enough canola oil to coat the bottom
- Pan fry the leeks until they are crispy
- Remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate; season with salt